The Steering Committee is the governing force that directs the detailed functions and affairs of the Teaching Academy. The duties of the steering committee are to oversee the activities of the academy; serve as Academy Liaisons for their respective colleges; determine priorities; approve budgets and identify resources; establish benchmarks and metrics to determine success; and promote the teaching mission of the Academy.
The Steering Committee shall consist of two representatives from each of the Consortium member colleges. Initial members of the Steering Committee shall be appointed by their respective Deans with one serving a two-year term and one serving a three-year term. Thereafter, members will be elected in alternate years by a majority vote of the membership from the respective college and shall serve a two-year term.
Steering Committee Members
- Patrick Chappell, PhD OSU – Chair
- Phil Mixter, PhD WSU – Chair-Elect
- Kristy Dowers, DVM CSU
- Dean Hendrickson, DVM, MS, DACVS CSU – Treasure
- Steve Hines, DVM, PhD, DACVP WSU
- Suzie Kovacs, MS WU
- Jan Ilkiw, BVSc, PhD, DEVAA UC-Davis
- Ohad Levi, DVM WU
- Johanna (Joie) Watson, DVM, PhD, DACVIM (LAIM) UC-Davis
Working Group Liaisons:
At least one member of the steering committee will serve as liaison for each academy working group and committee. Working Group liaisons shall be responsible for communicating committee and working group activity progress to the Chair and Steering Committee.
The officers of the academy shall be a Chair, a Chair-Elect, and a Treasurer. Chair-Elect will be elected annually by the steering committee from its membership and will serve a one-year term and advance to the position of Chair for a one-year term. The Treasurer shall be elected in each even numbered year by a majority vote of the steering committee membership. The Treasurer shall serve a two-year term.
The responsibilities and duties of the teaching academy’s officers shall be as follows:
- Chair: The Chair shall call and organize meetings of the academy; shall preside at all academy functions; shall serve as primary liaison with the Consortium; shall prepare an annual report, program plan, and (in collaboration with the Treasurer) the annual budget for the coming year for submission. The budget will be presented to the steering committee for approval, provided to all academy members electronically, and presented at the annual/biannual meeting of the academy.
- Chair-Elect: The Chair-Elect shall be responsible for organizing all academy meetings in collaboration with the Chair; shall keep minutes of all academy meetings; shall act in the absence or incapacity of the Chair at any academy meeting; shall maintain academy archives and membership records; and shall be responsible for the planning of the annual/biannual academy meeting program and logistics with assistance from the Chair and Steering Committee.
- Treasure: The Treasurer shall receive monies from the Consortium and other sources; shall assist the Chair and Chair-Elect in preparing a budget; shall keep all financial records; and shall prepare a year-end financial report for the academy and the Consortium.